2015年3月29日星期日

Response to The Handmaid’s Tale

    The Handmaid’s Tale is such a long story that i have never read before. I spend a lot of time to focus on it. I am not a man that like reading book even it is in Chinese. In order to understand this story better, I search for the introduction of this story. This story is talking about future, with a fundamentalist theocracy ruling the territory of what had been the United States. It is classificated as science fiction or speculative fiction.
    These early chapters show the background of the story. Handmaid is a special name for this type of woman. Women in that country is only been treated as a machine to give birth to a child. Offred is the protagonist and narrator. Having proven fertile, she is considered an important commodity and has been placed as a handmaid in the home of the Commander.
    when i read chapter 2, Offred sits in a room that seems at first like a gymnasium. However, as a matter of fact, The room is like a prison in which all means of defense, or escape by suicide or flight, have been removed. The room is like a government-ordered prison. I am confused that how can the government set a rule like this and there are no person stand up to point out that the rule should be broken.

没有评论:

发表评论